Monday, January 28, 2008

Promises of Eternity

"The more people come to know us, the better they will understand us... We're a little different. We don't smoke. We don't drink. We do things in a little different way. That's not dishonorable. I believe that's to our credit."
--Gordon B. Hinckley, in an interview with The Associated Press in late 2005

Well, depends on which circles you run in, but yeah, I guess that's true.

I owe a huge debt to Gordon B. Hinckley. Because, without him, the Mormon church probably wouldn't have grown as it has in the past 12 years. Without that growth, PBS would probably have not dedicated two nights to a documentary about the Mormon church. Without that documentary, my friends and I would not have conceived the greatest drinking game. Ever.

Every time someone says "Joseph Smith," you take a drink. Which gets tough for quotes like this one:
"It's unfair in part because you really can't blame Joseph Smith for what a man like Warren Jeffs does abusing a 14-year-old girl almost two centuries after Smith himself died. There is no direct connection between these people and Joseph Smith. Blaming Smith in particular or Mormonism in general for ongoing Fundamentalist polygamists is like blaming Karl Marx for communist China."

And by the time she gets to communist China, you're too buzzed to grasp her point.

But the best part comes from a sweet former drug addict:
"They came in and told me the most preposterous story I have ever heard in my life: about this white boy, a dead angel and some gold plates. And I thought, I wonder what they're on?"
Why I Am A Mormon [PBS]

So, really, my tie to Hinckley has nothing to do with his warm personality, or his changes within the church. Neigh, his expanding the church as if they were Wal-Marts warranted the attention of PBS and for that, I spend most of the summer talking about "the most preposterous story I have ever heard in my life."

I think you are an alien being
This excerpt from The Trail was particularly telling to me:
"At a photo-op in front of a Texaco gas station here, scheduled so Romney could blast rival John McCain's proposal for limiting greenhouse gas emissions, Romney addressed his relationship with Gordon B. Hinckley, the Mormon church's president who died yesterday of natural cases at age 97. Romney called Hinckley 'one of the great leaders in our faith.'"
Romney, Remembering Gordon Hinckley [The Trail on WashingtonPost.com]

A "great leader" whose death spells the end of your avoidance of your Mormonism in public. At a time when you'd want the evangelicals to forget about that.

Survey question
If you lived a life without smoking, caffeine and alcohol, which part would be the hardest?

For me, it would be caffeine. I do enjoy alcohol, but I've been able to go a while without it. But I was able to do that because I had a bunch of Cokes and coffees. No coffee and I fade away like Yoda.

5 comments:

Lorem Ipsum said...

"If you lived a life without smoking, caffeine and alcohol, which part would be the hardest?"

For me, it would be life.

Sarah said...

Did you read the book I told you about? Escape by Carolyn Jesup.

And, if I had lived a life without smoking caffine and alcohol, call me naive but I probably wouldn't have a hard time with any of those things.
I mean, I've never done crack and I don't have a hard time not doing it.

The Blogger said...

I have added said book to my "to read" list. Will let you know what it comes onto the "currently reading" list.

Minnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Minnie said...

That's why those crazy Mormons live so long - he was 98 - because they don't do any of the bad stuff. Some of the really good ones don't even eat chocolate.

I agree with Sarah. But, as someone who grew up Mormon, without smoking, drinking, or caffeine, (or crack) and then started partaking in all of those things (except crack), I would say that if I was told that I had to eliminate them all again, the hardest would be

a) caffeine, if we were going by the strictest rules, which includes chocolate.

But, if we weren't going by the strictest rules, and I could have chocolate, I would say,

b) alcohol. Let it be known - I like to get my drink on. (I am on day 24 without alcohol, so I am a little nostalgic about drinking.)

Sorry. That is a long, complicated answer, but that's what happens when you escape the long grasp of the LDS.

Very complicated answer, I know.