Wednesday, February 6, 2008

It's A Crime

Finally, I can understand the countless references and quotes.

After 26 years on this planet, I have finally seen "The Godfather."

You read that correctly. Until Tuesday, February 5, 2008, I had not seen "The Godfather," often cited as the best movie ever made. Easily the most spoofed, referenced and quoted movie ever made, too.

The ramifications of this are astounding. It's a classic in this country and I bet that there are more Americans who've seen this movie than there are Americans who've read the Bible. You could sooner find someone who'd admit to voting for Bush or Nader than you could find someone who hadn't seen that movie. You'd think that after four years of college, two of which I lived in a dorm, I would have been cured of this condition. Weirdly enough, the movie is one of of four movies upon which my family members can agree. ("Star Wars," "Animal House" and "The Blues Brothers" are the other three. Don't worry; I've seen all those.)

What's more amazing is that I'm supposed to be a movie buff. Or so people think, and I gladly let them think so. I talk about movies ad nauseam and go through Netflix rentals "like water." I've seen "Howard The Duck," "Elizabethtown" and "How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days," but it took me 26 years to see "The Godfather."

I fucking loved it. The plot, the dialogue, the colors, the cinematography, the music, the way they showed doors, everything. I should be beat down for not having seen said movie until now. I hadn't seen "Sling Blade" or "The Graduate" until a few weeks ago, or "Silence Of The Lambs" until a few years ago, but I need a good whoopin' for this cinematic transgression. Holy motherfuck.

Survey question
What's the most shocking entry on your list of movies you've never seen?

Now that "The Godfather" is not on there, the contenders are:
"Goodfellas"
"Apocalypse Now"
"One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest"

And people shriek when they hear I've never seen:
"The Birdcage"
"The Little Mermaid"
"Trainspotting"
"Pirates Of The Caribbean*"

*Though I have seen the second one. A co-worker wanted someone to go with her and she said, "Just imagine the first movie was 'The Princess Bride' and you'll be able to follow." Everyone who's heard me retell that has said that this woman must obviously know nothing about either movie. Someone else went so far as to say that comparing those two movies is like comparing "Veggie Tales" with "Apocalypse Now."

But I wouldn't know.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I majored in film in college and I too drink my netflix like its the hottest day of the year. Not to mention I go to the movie theater a lot. (3 times this week alone) But there are always times when someone mentions a movie that, shock and awe, I've never seen. I hadn't seen Indiana Jones until a few months ago. Never seen Jaws, or any of the Star Wars past the first one. The truth is, you just can't see every single movie. The other truth is, not having seen these movies doesn't make you less of a connoisseur of film.
I know that wasn't really your point, but not having seen these types of classic movies that everyone loves use to be the stuff panic attacks were made out of for me.
But of your list, get on Apocolypse Now! and the Little Mermaid because...someday I want you to be part of our world. (It's a little inside, you'll get it one day, though.)

Anonymous said...

I voted for Nader (plan on doing it again) and have never seen Donnie Darko.
DD had hit my hipster threshold. I tend to irrationally avoid obviously great movies,books,and music that become unquestionably hip. I tend to come around if the stuff is legit.

And if Diane Rehm tells me too.

I suggest you re-read "One Flew..." before seeing the movie.
and put Apolcalypse Now at the top.

Why would anyone regret voting for Nader?

Dan said...

Man, now my never-seen-Godfather club has one less member.

That might be the most shocking entry on my list, though Rocky, Top Gun, Schindler's List and Princess Bride are also contenders.

Anonymous said...

It's funny, I own a book called 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die . . . . and I doubt I'm 25% of the way through. I get a lot of crap about not seeing A LOT of movies, including "The Godfather," and "Goodfellas."

I have never seen more than about 30 minutes of any of these: LOTR series, Terminator series, any Woody Allen movie, Rocky series, Rambo series, the Aliens series, . . . and I only saw the first Nightmare on Elm Street.


AND I get a lot of crap from people our age about never seeing "Goonies," "Big," "Dirty Dancing," "The Breakfast Club," "Pretty Woman," "Ghost," "The Princess Bride," "There's Something About Mary," "Scream," "Unforgiven".

Don't you worry, I think I rank higher on the more pathetic chart.