Friday, March 7, 2008

I Think I Need A New Heart

My nephew called my mom to tell her he's raising money for heart disease awareness through some program at his school. He told my mom he's been calling "various family members" but she figured that when I didn't get the call, he must have meant "grandparents."

Turns out I didn't get the call because my sister took the phone away from him. Not only because he's been calling everyone in her phone, but also because he sets a new ring tone every day and my sister doesn't recognize her phone when it rings. Similarly, my brother set my mom's ring tone as "Whoop! There It Is." I love calling her when she's in the grocery store and she's forgotten to turn her phone on silent.

Apparently, my nephew hasn't even brought any paperwork home about this program. So I told my sister that I'd donate only when she has seen the documents and can prove that it's legit. I want to make sure I'm funding something reputable. Bum tickers? Yes. Whoopie cushions and Starburts? No.

And the real kicker is that there's a prize for getting the most donations: a lunch box with a radio inside and $300. Which is a little much for third-graders. I work for a living. Where's my radio and $300?

So now I have to donate. The idea of some other kid getting that just breaks my heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I rolled on the floor laughing when I thought of your mom going through the grocery store and all of a sudden her cell phone screams out "Whoop! There it is!" I guess it's a combination of how flustered my mom gets when she rushes to answer the phone and just imagining your mom's embarassment on top of that. That made my day.