Sunday, April 20, 2008

Found Peace of Mind in Playing On Your Fears

"We are benefiting from one thing, and that is the attack on the Twin Towers and Pentagon, and the American struggle in Iraq," Ma'ariv quoted the former prime minister as saying. He reportedly added that these events "swung American public opinion in our favor."
Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror attacks good for Israel [Haaretz.com]

I was pretty shocked to read that, and equally shocked that no one else was covering it. A search on Google News showed that The Jerusalem Post and The Jewish Chronicle were touching on it, but for different reasons:

Opposition leader Binyamin Netanyahu was treated respectfully by the 100 members of the foreign press who attended his Israel Project briefing Wednesday. The same day, the Hebrew press was not as kind... The people who had heard him speak at Bar-Ilan University Tuesday were shocked by the headline, which Netanyahu did not say, and which was taken out of context from an answer to a question about the US-Israel relationship.
Netanyahu to 'Post': Iran must be stopped [Jerusalem Post]

Aha!

Next step: tracking down a transcript of what he actually said. From a trustworthy source.

I was sent the link the Haaretz/Reuters story from a friend who's in grad school studying history. He said the comment aligns with what he's read about Netanyahu, and I felt inclined to trust that. "He's read books about him! I've only read articles!"

But now I don't know what to think. It's like last week's "Desperate Housewives" episode, where they led you to think Dana Delaney murdered her husband, but you're not sure if you should accept that. Yes, deciding the veracity of articles read in the international press, and online, no less, is just like deciding to trust a curve ball Mark Cherry has thrown at you.

Side note: I like the name Binyamin. I would not name a kid that, nor would I name my non-existent dog that, but I do like the name.

No comments: