Wednesday, April 9, 2008

You Sold Your Soul To Rock 'N' Roll, Gave Up Control, But Here's Your Loophole

The Amazins' management conceded that an official poll that crowned Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up' as the team's singalong winner was duped by an effort to bombard their contest with spam. So despite 5 million votes, team officials say they it's "highly unlikely" the cheesy one-hit 1980s wonder will be declared victor. Or ever be played again.

The crowd at Tuesday's Shea Stadium home opener booed when the song blasted over the stadium speakers.
Mets management concedes song contest was Rickrolled [Newsday.com]

If they would boo that song, then they deserve whatever song they get. You don't need them, Rick; if you're going to have your image tied to a baseball team, have it tied to a team that will appreciate you.

Of the other songs that are contenders, I have this to say:

1. Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer" is maybe the most overplayed of songs from the '80s. No, not just most played, but most overplayed. I have known one guy (currently residing in North Carolina) who can do that song justice on karaoke, but everyone else who attempts it makes me resent Jon Bon Jovi even more. If the Mets have this as their song, they will have branded themselves as a douche-y ball club.

2. Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" is a great song for a ball game. At Fenway Park. The Red Sox have that, and I believe they do it in the seventh inning, not the eighth. And a lot of minor league teams use that song. I don't think that's an image the Mets would want. Of course, using that song might provoke Yankee fans near Shea Stadium at the time to start fights. And though I'm a pacifist myself, I'm also a firm believer in Darwinism.

I'm at least glad that "Never Gonna Give You Up" was played, and on opening night, no less. A friend had sent me some heartbreaking news from the Internets that said song might not even get played. Ever. I was pissed. "Election fraud! Don't those motherfuckers know of the election bullshit going on in Zimbabwe?" But as Google News alerts came in, I learned that cooler heads prevailed and indeed, Shea Stadium was Rickrolled. Even if for just one day.

Survey question
It's been a while since we had a survey question, so I will offer a few options, just like the Mets did. But these options will be better.

1. What song would you pick for the eighth inning sing-along?
2. What team would deem deserving of "Never Gonna Give You" up?
3. Will Rickrolling ever end?
4. What will/should be the new Rickrolling?

No comments: